View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 06:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default vocal tics in 5 year old

My son has developed a vocal tic (huh) a day after receiving his Kindergarden shots. It is mild at times and at others so frequent he has trouble communicating. He has had some mild tics we ignored. (pulling his shirt/flicking his fingers) They lasted a few weeks and only occured when he was nervous. He was tested for aspergers 6 mo. ago (at my request) due to the fact that he had some trouble relating to his preschool peers. 2 days worth of tests showed cognitive skills off the charts, expresive language and social skills low ave.,but no aspergers! For the past 6 mo. he has made huge gains in social skills and communication due to the fact that we went back to revisit previous preschool skills (such as playing with puppets and reading about how to get along with others.....instead of answering questions about white blood cells and gravity on other planets)
Now after all this progress he has developed this tic. Last night he told his dad, "the doctor made this happen". He did freak out when he got the shots, and was very clingy the remainder of the day. Then the next day the tic began. I know the general medical community says there is not a relationship between immunizations and Autistic like symptoms but..........
Any advice/help would be appreciated. I started him on omega 3 and l carnitine just because I read it might help but I really don't know what I'm doing. Sandy
sandywill is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote