View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Just a Side Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalenaFaolan View Post
... don't pay any attention to the ot. They like to think they are doctors and give an opinion when they don't know diddly!
Karen,

A lot of what you say is true about some people in any health field thinking they are a doctor, from the receptionist on.

However, I had a curious situation. When I first developed RSD symptoms in 1986, I went to so many doctors looking for a diagnosis I lost count. I saw several neurologists, some of whom thought I had exotic diseases like malaria, typhoid, etc. Everyone was stumped.

After about six or seven frustrating months, I mentioned all of this to a college friend who was an Occupational Therapist specializing in hand rehabilitation. She said “That sounds like something I have seen called RSD, but I have never seen it in a foot.” She discussed it with a respected rheumatologist the next morning and he arranged an appointment for the same afternoon. That was how I was finally on the right road to a diagnosis!

So, don’t just discount the opinions of all non-doctors. Sometimes people like therapists see a lot of different things, and also have the time and/or attitude to really care about people.

Mike
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote