View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 11:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Linda

Thank you for answering my post.

I have weakness on my left side, my left leg has been getting weaker and weaker all summer--it drags and sometimes doesn't work very well. I also have had numbness on the left side for at least two years. I've been to two neurologists who couldn't find the problem (never did an MRI of my thoracic spine) and was referred to my present neurologist who referred me to the neuro surgeon. I was told that if I did not have this surgery, I could lose the use of my leg entirely. I even get numb in my groin and my right leg is starting to be involved.

I have had so many tests it would curl your toes--all negative until the MRI on my thoracic spine.

I was told that time is of the essence in my case. I've researched on the internet and found that, in cases like mine, surgery is done as soon as possible--referring to the increasing weakness of my left leg.
My neuro surgeon has an excellent reputation and we have faith in him. However, I knew this was serious--but didn't realize how serious it really is. My neuro surgeon told us the risks, but he said he could help me. He said that I may not regain what I might have already lost, but that he could stop the progression.

What would happen if I didn't have this surgery? Would I be paralyzed from the waist down? He didn't actually say that, but he said it was very dangerous for me to continue this way.

I just cry and cry. I'm so scared-- I don't think my family gets the enormity of the situation. My daughter is getting married in March---I want to walk down the aisle. I want to see her married. I want to live. I try to put on a brave front for my husband and I try not to act afraid, but I am so afraid.
You say this is hard to recoup from. What kind of shape will I be in following surgery? I know I'm asking impossible questions. I'm sorry.

Jan
Fairqueen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote