View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Erin,

Yep, I've got all the sexy side-effects you've mentioned - major moon face, swollen belly, facial hair, and massive stretch marks all over, luckily I've not had the emotional symptoms - no craziness yet (maybe I should warn my husband though). It's frustrating because I'm so grateful for being able to move around without help, but mad about how I look. I know it shouldn't matter, but as a 29 year old woman why do I have to choose between functioning normally and looking human!?! I feel guilty too all the time because I know there are people so much worse off than me, not just with MG but cancer etc etc, but why can't I be healthy too?!? My husband has only been to the doctor once in all the time I've known him and that was when he broke his hand playing football!

I know what you mean about not being recognised - my husband and I live in Scotland and we just came back to Canada for a visit this week, when I got off the plane my mother in law barely knew me - she burst into tears. My parents were more prepared because they've seen the swelling gradually get worse on our webcam. Now that I'm back in Canada I find myself not wanting to leave the house because I'm embarrassed at how I look and I don't want to run into old friends who don't know I've been not well this year. I've never been a superficial person, but I certainly sound it now!! Sorry for complaining!!

On to your questions - I was diagnosed about 6 years ago. Looking back at photos I've had droopy lids since about 16 and I have another eye condition which causes double vision so I didn't pay any attention to that symptom. When I was diagnosed I didn't show any signs of an abnormal thymous so I've not had a thymectomy - although I really want it re-checked. I LIVE on mestinon!! I take 60 mg every three hours and on my non-steriod day I find I am counting the minutes until I can take my next dose. I can really feel the difference on the alternate days. I'm also taking Azathioprine (150 mg daily) and it seems to be kicking in now - it took about 7 months to start working. I've had one dose of Ivig, but it didn't do too much for me - in fact I was pretty well knocked out for a week.

It's nice to share stories and experiences here - I figure if I can laugh about some of this stuff then I won't cry!! All the best!
~Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote