View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I would agree that you have Transverse Myelitis, caused by your lesions in your spine.

Transverse Myelitis, like ON, can be a stand alone dx, or it can be as a result of another disease process. In our case, it's due to the MS.

The first time I experienced TM was 1991, and it was from a lesion in my T-spine. I was completely numb from mid-breast (literally cut in two there) down to my toes. Numb hardly describes all the feelings (and lack thereof), and that attack was severe.

The second time was in 2003, but it was from a new lesion in the C-spine. This time the same symptoms affected right up to the tips of my ears, and in my hands, but I went through basically the same progression and recovery. This attack was all encompassing though, including my internal organs, and even breathing became difficult.

The third time (which may not have "officially" been TM) was in 2007 , probably from a new C-spine lesion in C1 (I never had a MRI). This time I was affected from the top of my head to the tip of my toes, but not all at the same time (contrary to prior attacks). This was not as severe as the last two times, but it dragged on for much, much longer. It was due to an untreated infection though, and once I treated it, I began to improve almost immediately.

The reason I told you all that is, although it can be substantially different each time, it is my experience (and there are not too many people on the forums who've had this!), that certain things do happen pretty much the same way each time.

Firstly, Transverse Myelitis is not nice, and feels terribly scary, no matter how mild, moderate or severe it is.

They will be able to tell which lesion is causing the problem, either in time (by watching what happens over the next 6 weeks), or by your MRI results. I did not have a MRI until I had recovered, but my docs knew exactly where my lesions were based on where the numbness ultimately stopped.

These attacks progress over 4 - 6 weeks, no matter if you take steroids or not. What that means is that what you are feeling now, plus more, will likely escalate in the coming weeks. During the following 4 - 6 weeks, you will likely progressively improve, starting with the areas that were affected first by the attack. I am telling you this as it can be frightening, and because it is "normal" for things to get worse before they get better; bowels, bladder, pain, etc.

Steroids are NOT known to affect the progression, speed the healing, or have any influence over your final outcome. Because of that, I have never been treated with steroids during my attack, however, over the years I've run across others who have. Using them did not substatially change anything.

As to whether you should go in the hospital . . .

I have never gone in the hospital during my attacks. It certainly feels as though that might be the best place for us (from our perspective at the time), but it is usually not necessary. You are just at the start of this, but depending on where the lesions are, and how much the attack escalates, it can affect your internal organs; heart, lungs, voicebox, swallowing, etc. NOTE: it is "normal" for your bladder and bowels to be uncooperative, but this is not a concern if you find ways to manage these difficulties. Let me know if you need any tips in this regard.

In retrospect, I probably should have gone in the hospital at one point, for a week or two . . . but I didn't and survived well. I would go if it got that bad again though.

You will be able to tell if you start having difficulty that isn't "sensory" or "motor" symptoms, so I would reserve the option for the hospital until IF that happens. NOTE: that only happened during one of my attacks. Otherwise you will likely spend the next 6 weeks in hospital, and it will not change the outcome.

Attached is a good link on Transverse Myelitis:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/t...s.htm#41903234

BTW, did they check for infection while you were at the hospital? Did you have a UTI test, etc.? That is how EACH of my attacks have started (infection of some sort).

Also, do you have brain lesions, or only spinal?

The good news is that I have recovered as well as I could hope for from all three of these attacks.

BIG hugs to you, Joe.

Cherie