View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 03:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Shocked Eek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire View Post
Once thought to be "the answer" to RSDS pain is now shown, according to a National Survey of RSDS Patients conducted in 1998, to have a very low rate of long-term success and in three out of four patients makes the RSDS spread and/or worsen. The study also showed that there is a 70% failure rate within the first year.

This procedure is irreversible AND THANKFULLY LESS AND LESS DRS ARE PERFORMING THEM!

Many Doctors who once supported them wholeheartedly have now publicly stated they would never recommend this treatment for an RSD patient.
When I was going throught my initial diagnoses stage, one doctor mentioned this as a possibility. No firm dx,, no name to the procedure, no outline of side effects, just an offhand "well, we could try to cut the nerve..." This just sounded totally wrong to me.

After I discussed this with my PCP, he was shocked and exclaimed "Don't go cutting any nerves! They will never grown back, and it might not do anything." This was in 1986. He did not know what I had, or how to treat it, but he knew that cutting apart nerves sounded very extreme for a 33-year-old man.

I would say - approach with caution. Know everything you can, since this still sounds like a last-resort kind of thing to me.

Good luck

Mike
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote