View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Wisdom tooth in Sinus Cavity

Hi all,

I was looking around the web for some information similar to my condition and stumbled across this forum, so I figured I'd ask my questions here.

When I went in for my last dental X-Ray (shortly after joining the military) the dentist told me that my lower wisdom teeth were impacted and needed to come out (no big deal) but my upper wisdom teeth were very, very odd; in the standard forward-view x-ray, my two upper wisdom teeth were completely horizontal, and the dentist was worried that the right one may be in the sinus. He sent me to the base "Oral/Maxillofacial Surgeon", who performed a CT scan.
When the results came back, the surgeon (a very quirky, though extremely friendly, 0-6 with a less than organized desk) told me that my left wisdom tooth was merely horizontal in my gums, and thus no big deal, but that my right wisdom tooth was actually developing >inside< my sinus cavity. He said it wasn't just perforated (I had looked up some info on my iPhone while he was reading the scans) but that the tooth had actually developed inside the sinus on a little mount of jawbone. He said that, while extremely unusual for its placement, it was otherwise not an issue. He said that he would make an incision in the front of my sinus cavity (well away from the tooth) and remove it from there.

While I have supreme confidence in my superior officers and his abilities as a surgeon (crossing fingers) i was wondering if anyone has actually heard of this happening before; I asked him if a problem would occur from the hole left by the tooth between the sinus and my mouth, and he informed me that I was mistaken; apparently there is no 'hole' there because the tooth is fully inside the sinus (horrible image, I know). Any info on how common this is, or whether I should be worried, would be greatly appreciated!

~TJ

PS. For all you people who take your professional time out of your days to help us little people, I cannot express my gratitude at your benevolence. Thanks!
Sacrilege is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote