View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMac View Post
10-12 weeks huh..........wow, I don't think my financial situation can handle that one.......:-(

But when I get better I will make it all back right?
No, you shouldn't have to miss nearly that long of work (10 - 12 weeks) . . .

As I mentioned, things tend to escalate. I was able to continue working the first time for about 2 weeks, then I went through the more difficult period over the next 4 weeks. After that, I was able to recover while working, over the NEXT 6 weeks, but I had a management job so there were not many physical demands. Quite honestly though, working is all I accomplished for that several weeks because even mental stress is wearing.

I was not fully recovered at 12 weeks, but I was definitely functional. The "full" recovery took 18 months, but I coped reasonably well in the meantime.

I continued working for the next 12 yrs, with very little intrusion from the MonSter, and by all accounts, should NOT have had another TM attack. That is rare indeed!

During the second attack, my job was slightly more physically demanding, even though it was mostly just walking. I wasn't able to walk at all, or commute/drive, so I had to go off fairly early in the game (within a few days). Even if I had used a wheelchair, I was a single mom, so I didn't have the leisure of then coming home and doing nothing, which likely made a difference to my recovery.

It took 4 weeks before I contemplated work again, and then my employer set me up to work from home. I was on flex-time, and my kids were at daycare till 5:00 every day, but each week I was able to accomplish a little more then the last. Probably by week 8, I was working full-time hours, however it was definitely intermittent, on my own schedule, and still from home.

Bearing in mind, I had now had MS for a minimum of 12 yrs, and probably much longer (based on prior symptoms), but I never did get back to the office after that attack. I was able to keep working from home for the next 2 yrs, but since I was left with some troublesome symptoms from that ordeal, and continued to have regular mini-attacks, that made it difficult to be reliable in a work environment. I went on disability in 2005.

I am going on 18 yrs into this now, and most of the time no one would know there is anything wrong with me. There is, of course . . . but my lifestyle is now very quiet and with little demands, so I can pull off a good face when I have to.

I mentioned the 10 - 12 week window so that you have a light at the end of the tunnel. That period is the worst you will go through though, and even though I knew that the second time, I still got discouraged at times. It just seems awfully long to feel so rotten . . . but it really helps to mark it off on the calender, kinda' like an inmate does.

Cherie