View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 12:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Group home for PWP?

Hello All,

A friend of mine with PD , faced with selling her home and going into a care facility, is considering another option --- that of opening her home to other PWP. This is just in the thinking stages at this point, and because she is "manually challenged" I voluntered to put the idea out to forumites for feedback.

I'm not sure how it would work, though probably one would pay a basic rent to cover housing costs and then share in the costs of amenities such as cook, chauffer and any PD supports found to help - BPM chair, exercise and 'comfort' devices, etc.

I know from experience that living w/ other PWP can be a wonderful thing and it is worth the effort to iron out the wrinkles that present themselves in this kind of endeavor. Timing is a huge factor in determning whether or not something like this could fly...and actualizing it requires committment and skills...often beyond the abilities of PD'ers. Perhaps a couple, one w/PD and his/her caretaker, could make this happen?

Anyway, we'd like some feedback, so please respond and let's see if it's possible. I may not be able to field queries well myself, but I'll do my best. I personally think PD group homes should be created everywhere there are people w/ PD.

What do you think?

Ibby
Ibken is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote