View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Vic, I am not sure how someone can debate the "ethics" of utilizing a social assistance/government taxed-based assistance program (whatever you want to call them), without appreciating what the specific criteria for that particular assistance program is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmom View Post
Medicare is not income based and you've paid for it over the years(I think everyone pays Medicare taxes). Why not take it??
Vic --
Like Cherie and Kathy, I also do not understand your comments regarding ethics, and your decision not to take it. The explanations you give, about not accepting "public assistance" if you have the money to pay premiums has no relevance, if we are talking about Medicare. No low-income person is going to be denied Medicare, just because you accept it. They are not related.

Do you plan to carry that through to also not accept Social Security or Medicare when you retire?

Or, are we all confused because you are, instead, talking about Medicaid, an income based program? Could you currently even qualify for Medicare -- are you disabled, or over 65, or is this a moot point?

Hiding assets would not assist you in qualifying for Medicare, as there are no asset requirements. I think that we all agree that hiding assets in order to qualify for assistance is unethical, but that is irrelevant to a conversation about Medicare.

When I become eligible for Medicare, I will weigh my options based on a number of factors, including cost of premiums, adequacy of coverage, etc. I might use both. I will feel no guilt if I decide to utilize Medicare.

~ Faith

P.S.: Perhaps none of this is what you are attempting to talk about. Perhaps you just wanted a general dialogue about your client who "uses" the system, and, other honest people who don't. If so, I think we're off your topic. Please clarify.
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Victor H (07-15-2008)