View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
Karen,

A lot of what you say is true about some people in any health field thinking they are a doctor, from the receptionist on.

However, I had a curious situation. When I first developed RSD symptoms in 1986, I went to so many doctors looking for a diagnosis I lost count. I saw several neurologists, some of whom thought I had exotic diseases like malaria, typhoid, etc. Everyone was stumped.

After about six or seven frustrating months, I mentioned all of this to a college friend who was an Occupational Therapist specializing in hand rehabilitation. She said “That sounds like something I have seen called RSD, but I have never seen it in a foot.” She discussed it with a respected rheumatologist the next morning and he arranged an appointment for the same afternoon. That was how I was finally on the right road to a diagnosis!

So, don’t just discount the opinions of all non-doctors. Sometimes people like therapists see a lot of different things, and also have the time and/or attitude to really care about people.

Mike
I wasn't making a blanket statement about all pt's. I've met a few people in the last 5 and a half years who's pt person was the one who said, I think you have rsd. It's just 9 times out of 10 they're the ones that say dumb crap like that when they're not qualified. They're not docs. I said what I did because I wanted Iffynah to know that it's what the doc says that counts not a pt. I've seen way too many people panic and had their care snatched away because of a pt who said, you don't have it or you can't have it, or like hers, you don't have all the symptoms. It causes much more harm to us than the physical pain we feel. We start to doubt, we think we have to have every single symptom when that isn't the truth. We all need to know that we can stand up to those who are wrong and go somewhere else, choose someone else and listen only to the doc(s) who have diagnosed us and is dictating our care. That's all I meant.

Hugs,

Karen

Living, loving and laughing with RSD for 14 years and counting.
GalenaFaolan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bassman (07-17-2008)