View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annelb View Post
Have you seen this about food allergies and soft coated wheaten's?
http://www.spinone.com/AKC_CHF99/22FoodAllergies.htm

this one says some wheatens are gluten sensitive. http://consumer.vetmedcenter.com/Bre...aten%20Terrier

You might have already found this ino.
Anne
Anne, we just bought a new book on Wheatens. I don't remember reading this in the ones we got from the library, but perhaps we were guilty of just looking at the pictures...lol.

This one says:

Quote:
Common symptoms of PLE and PLN are vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetitie, weight loss, fluid retention, and lethargy.
Quote:
Veteranarians should test any Wheaten that exhibits signs of allergies or PLE/PLN. Wheatens that have this disease should be placed on a gluten free (no wheat) diet with a novel protein source such as fish, venison, or other protein source not common in dog foods. Some Wheatens show sensitivity to chicken, corn, and lamb.
So, I wonder how many Wheatens are on a STRICT gluten-free diet from day one, and whether any of those dogs ever develop this? What if people feed their dogs a gluten free dog feed, but then think nothing of giving it a cracker or bit of bread as a snack??

I think the strangest thing is that I didn't know this about this breed going in, but I think maybe it was meant to be . And how weird is it that two breeds with known gluten intolerance are FROM IRELAND??? (the Irish Setter is another known for wheat sensitivity)

Perhaps the Wheaten Terrier should become the official mascot for Celiac Disease Awareness...lol.

No doggie treats from drive through banking... I guess.

I still haven't talked with DogtorJ...I need to get to that one of these days!

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 10-30-2006 at 06:30 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote