Thread: High Drug Level
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 08:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Hi drug levels

Hi Sue,

I have been taking Keppra for about 5-6 years now and have been taking 750mg/2x day for most of that period. It is not my primary, as I also take Tegretol XR and have been taking it for almost 20 years. I did have one period of being off of the Tegretol, just after switching to XR, as it was causing serious toxic effects. However, I tried Neurotin and Trileptal and neither performed very well, so I switched back to Tegretol XR and modified the way I take my dosage(3 times a day, instead of 2) and that fixed my toxic affect problem. Once back on Tegretol XR, I began taking the Keppra, as a last ditch effort to control my seizures, prior to considering surgery.

I had surgery in April of last year and have been seizure free since, Praise the Lord !

I have been able to decrease my Tegretol dosage to 1200mg a day, but still take 1500mg of Keppra a day. I have always been a liitle emotional for a guy, but have not noticed that the Keppra made me any more emotional or irritable than I was prior to taking it. I would suggest taking it slow on the dosage and see how it goes. It seems that a normal dosage for mono-therapy is about 2000-3000mg a day, maybe more. Since you will be taking it as an add on, you should be able to take substantially less. I think your doctor is likely to start you at 250 or 500 mg and go up from there. Best of luck, if you decide to give it a try.

God bless,

Barry

Phil 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayerr and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard you heart and mind in Christ Jesus"
bjholahan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote