View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Flying

I fly several times per year with my SCS. Proceed as you normally would and line up for the screening. But when you get to the first TSA screener (the one checking boarding passes and ID cards) mention that you have a medical implant and need "hand screening." At some airports, they will take you through a special line, but usually they will tell you to let them know at the metal detector.

Place your items on the belt like everyone else. Make sure your device is turned "off" as it could mess up their screening equipment. If you use a cane, that needs to go through the x-ray as well, but they have ones to borrow if you have to have it to walk. Tell the TSA person again that you need a hand screen and can't walk through the detector, and they will direct you to wait at a special place. Another TSA screener will get you for screening. Explain what you have (I generally just tell them "It's like a pacemeker, but for my spinal cord.") and where it is located, particularly if it is sensitive, like mine. Further explain that the hand-held metal detector cannot be used. They will do a gentle pat-down. They use male screeners for men and female screeners for women.

I have never had to produce any medical evidence in the five years I have had mine. Almost all of the TSA screeners are kind, patient, and do not make you feel like a terrorist.

While you are going through this process, you should ask a traveling companion to retrieve your carry-on items. If you are flying alone, let the screener know. They will let you keep an eye on your things while they pass through the x-ray and might even retrieve them for you.

It is not to bad. The first time seems intimidating, but it is usually quick and stress free. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Mike
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote