View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 04:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Jan,

As a fellow "T-spiney", I understand the dilemma that you're facing, and the decision to have surgery is not an easy one to make. I know of a few members that have had the open thoracotomy fusion procedure, and there are also a few that have had the Thorascopic spinal procedure done (by Dr. Curtis Dickman of Barrow Neurological Institute).

The cord contact and the weakness you are experiencing are definitely major factors for considering fusion surgery. Just remember that once you have the surgery, you are looking at a considerable recovery time if you're having the open thoracotomy fusion. Most folks I've spoken with have indicated that it took upwards of 1 yr to 18 mos. before they really felt "recovered".

I've spoken at length with my surgeon regarding the possibilities, but for me, the surgery is just not realistic right now, so I've been putting "band-aids" on the problem so to speak, using Epidural Steriod Injections and daily pain medications to maintain the level of function I have, and of course, daily PT to maintain my core support. I wish there was an easy fix for the spine, but unfortunately that's just not the case.

Hopefully some of the other T-spiney's will wander in and offer some words of wisdom.

Theresa
Tbackpain1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote