View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 12:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

My game plan right now is to do as the Pain Med nurse said. She is an FNP, but probably follows the doctor's orders on it.

I plan on taking my last Avinza at midnight Saturday night. At around 30-34 hours my withdrawals normally hit. So around 6am Monday morning life will be unpleasant. I planned on taking the Librium and Hytrin at that time. I took Librium without consequences many years ago. I have never taken Hytrin.

I have a history of "just quitting" meds without causing any severe problems, but Morphine is a lot different --- I am hoping by taking the meds I will not hit the wall, but just be miserable a few days. So far, I have taken Vioxx, Celebrex, Paxil and others for long periods of time. Guess I am just lucky.

One of my worries is my breathing. I am on a Ventilator for sleeping, or even taking naps.
My SV unit has a patient disconnect alarm, but I turned it off because I haven't needed it.
Guess I will turn it back on. Heck, it has 6 different alarms, and my oxygen concentrator has a couple, so if I accidentally knock the mask off, I will hear at least one alarm.

My Service/Medic Alert Dog is being trained as a hearing dog for me ... too many years flying KC-135s in the Air Force. I am still fighting the VA for hearing aids. I got SSDI 4 months from when I dropped my package off (that includes receiving the first check) but the Veteran's Adversary is tough. Luckily my Service Dog already cues me when someone is at the door or my wife is coming home. I am not deaf, just have huge hearing losses in 2000 hz up.

Thanks again for how you handled it. Quitting cold turkey and being treated like that is against the law in Calif. A doctor HAS to refer you out here. They can lose their license if they don't. What a crappy doctor to just dump you. I was told to go to the ER if I needed morphine (mostly when I was back visiting family in the midwest). Scary.