View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 03:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Happy Update -- long post

DD and her five 18-y.o. friends arrived home safely, after their Colorado trip at the beginning of this month, and the possible transmission worries. As I said earlier, the transmission was fine -- just didn't like the mountains very much. But, they found a steering problem, that could have potentially been a hazard.

The steering repairs ending costing less than their initial estimate -- $227, instead of $400.

It was difficult to obtain contact information about the owner of the car that wrecked our van door, because the car was driven by someone else. We managed to get an out-of-county address from the police report, that they were able to track down since I wrote down the tag number. The owner had moved, and the letter was forwarded to us, and she was nice enough/honest enough to call us about the accident. The person who'd been driving her car had chosen not to tell her about the damage he'd caused, and the damage of her vehicle was minimal enough that she hadn't noticed it.

When her insurance company contacted the driver, he disputed my claim, and said that his door was already open, and I ran into it. But, insurance ruled in our favor -- said that his story didn't even make sense.

So, to make a short story long, they totalled our van, ad will be sending us a check for $1100. We were planning to sell it anyways. It is still drivable -- just body work. And, we're not sure we would have received that much for it anyways -- it's a 1993. We'd like to replace it with a mid-size car that gets better gas mileage, but is still comfortable for long trips.

So, I think we came out ahead -- expect for some anxious days.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote