View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 08:46 AM
ex-Member

15 yr Member
ex-Member

15 yr Member
Default The myth of stem cells

"The Truth About Adult Cell Therapy" is that it does not have any scientific basis when used for idiopathic Parkinson's Disease. For stem cells to be able to effectively treat idiopathic Parkinson's Disease there would need to be considerable loss of the dopaminergic neurons (the cells involved in Parkinson's Disease). Although this is widely claimed to be the case, not a single study has ever shown this.

This myth originated from a study carried out by Hornykiewicz in which it was claimed after carrying out autopsies on people with Parkinson's Disease that there was massive loss of the dopaminergic neurons.

However, the methods used did not even measure cell loss. As often occurs in published medical research, the conclusions did not match the methods or results. The methods used assessed the enzyme activity in people with Parkinson's Disease. Enzymes determine the acivity of the cells. So what they actually found was, in idiopathic Parkinson's Disease, that there was considerable lossof cell activity rather than considerable loss of cells.

Unfortunately hardly anyone bothers to read the full details of medical research. So the false conclusions in the abstract were able to persist.

Further research claimed to confirm the considerable cell loss theory. However, the methods they used were the f-Dopa PET scan. The f-Dopa PET scan doesn't measure cell loss either. It assesses cell activity.

Why has this myth persisted ?

Probably three reasons :

1. the medical establishment needs an excuse for all its big profit making wonder drugs not working. A basic knowledge of biochemistry would have made it obvious from the outset that they never could anyway. So they falsely claim that it is all due to masive cell loss - something that is beyond their control. Of course they didn't claim thisbefore they marketed their supposed wonder drugs.

2. wishful thinking by people that desperately need a solution to a potentially devastating disorder

3. this view has become the majority view. Why dsipute something you want to be true when so many people believe it ?

I have no doubt that people will continue to believe the myth of stem cells. However, time will prove the myth of the efficacy of stem cell therapy in idiopathic Parkinson's Disease to be only that. In the meantime, so much wasted discussion, effort and wishful thinking will take place because the complete lack of scientific basis has been persistently overlooked.

In anticipation of somebody claiming that I am writing this because I have some religious or ethical objections to the use of stem cells, I am a lifelong atheist and have no ethical views on the subject whatsoever.

But then, why should you listen to a cartoon duck anyway, even though it's true ?

Last edited by Daffy Duck; 10-31-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Daffy Duck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote