View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 09:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cferro514 View Post
Faith,
You are taking a chance doing volunteer work. This can equal the real thing in SSA eyes. You are keeping to a schedule, and are doing certain duties. You are saying I can not work a regular job, where I stand, stoop, lift, bend etc, but can do these things as a volunteer. You are risking a denial.
I suggest you find the 3373, and 3380 forms, and see what questions they ask about your daily activities.
Thanks for the advice. I looked online, at SSA's Forms Home Page, and couldn't find the forms that you mention. Are they the Work Activity Forms? We've filled those out, but I don't think those are the right ones, because I coouldn't find those form numbers on the copies that I kept.

Yeah, I wondered about volunteering being a problem, but some advice that I'd received said that it wouldn't be. My volunteer jobs do not involve standing, lifting, bending or stooping.

When I volunteered for VBS at church, it was about 3 hours a day, for a total of 15 hours. That was only for one week. Classroom time involved mostly sitting, and there was some minimal walking from one classroom site to another. I don't think I'll ever have to report that time, since it was short-term.

Right now, I'm only volunteering about 3 hours a week, and that's spread out between 3 separate days. It, also, does not involve standing, bending, stooping or lifting. I read to nursing home residents and play the piano. So, I am not claiming that I am unable to do those activities, and then going out and doing them as a volunteer. I don't see any inconsistencies there.

I do plan to add about 10 hours a week in the fall, but I still have time for my one or two naps per day, and I don't there's a very good case that that is comparable to substantial, gainful employment, if I don't ever volunteer for more than a 2 or 3 hour block at a time.

But, I'd welcome additional comments.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
thursday (07-20-2008)