View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 12:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
Hi Sandy,
Just wanted to answer your question about anxiety. Yes, anxiety disorders are comorbid with Tourettes in some patients. But, it could just be a phase since he's only 5. Chemar has given you some great starting points here.
My 9 year old started with tics a few months ago. We've had one and off anxiety issues with him prior to the tics which I just chalked up to childhood phases, now I wonder if it's all tied together. Anyway, stress usually increases tics no matter what the cause of the tics are to begin with. So, maybe you can find out if something is causing him stress. And, yes, the epsom salts will probably calm him down. There are also magnesium supplements that will help, as well. Try researching KidsCalm products by Peter Gillham. Keep us posted!
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I'm going to look up the KidsCalm products as William has always seemed overly concerned about odd stuff. Once when he had a splinter in his hand and it got infected I explained to him about pus/white blood cells since he had been hyperfocusing on human body facts. BAD CHOICE!! I was confronted with several days of "Will the white blood cells attack other parts of my body?, Can they get out of my skin? Do their mouths have teeth?............." Sometimes I don't know what may upset him and the only thing different lately was him getting his shots. (I was wise enought not to tell him what was in them) He did freak out and sounded like he was pleading for his life but doesn't it always sound like that to a parent?
Do you find that it is better to talk about the anxiety or let it ease up on it's own? He is currently ticcing in cycles. A bunch in a 30 min. period, then just a few for 2 hrs. Sometimes he can be distracted from them and sometime nothing helps. Would love to get you perspective and your childs' on what moms can do or stop doing when the tics get bad. Currently I
want to provide a 'break' so we wrestle or tickle which gives him a few min. of relief. I also was wondering if introducing/encouraging a former less noticable tic....in his case the finger flicking would be a good idea. The vocal huh brings about questions he doesn't have the answers to or he must listen to me attempt to answer the same questions. Thanks again, Sandy
sandywill is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote