View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 01:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the links.

I used to hold a 6 1/2 hour a day job. I am not sure that I could maintain that kind of schedule anymore, due to my MS fatigue. I take 1-2 naps per day. I read your links, and I also do not believe that I could be seated for 6 hours, and on my feet for two hours. I am not sure how the information in your links contributes to your belief that volunteering a few hours each week will jeopardize my claim.

My neurologist wrote to Disability Determination Services that I am "totally and permanently disabled and there is no possibility of rehabilitation. She has such frequent flare-ups that she is unemployable. Even when she has periods of remission, she is unable to work an eight-hour day and these are infrequent."

My psychologist wrote a 2 page letter, using information that I supplied to her in a letter that described how my MS has affected my employment over the past 6 years. In her letter, she stated that my condition is not likely to improve, and that I am not likely to be able to return to gainful, substantial employment.

I have asked my psychiatrist and psychologist about volunteering. My psychiatrist would not have supported my going on disability if I stayed at home and did NOT volunteer. He would be concerned about mental health and depression issues if I did not get out of the house to do something useful and meaningful. (However, he has recently left the agency, and I no longer have a psychiatrist.)

If requested, my psychologist would indicate that she prescribed volunteer work for me.

Again, you do not seem to be acknowledging that the volunteer work that I am talking about does not include enough hours that it would be considered the equivalent of gainful, substantial employment, even though I have stated that multiple times.

I don't know how many hours your friend was employed, but it appears to me that her situation might be different than mine.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote