View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I know this is an old post, but since I too suffer from this greatly misunderstood condition (BMS or Burning Mouth Syndrome) as a dx'ed MS'er, it greatly interests me and I wanted to add to it to share my experience.

Before the MS dx, I was being treated for TMJ (tempomandibular joint disorder). I was wearing plastic crafted splints in my mouth, day (bottom) and night (top). About 2 weeks after I began wearing these, I woke up one day with a faint burning sensation in my mouth. By nighttime, this burning was out of control.

I've now lived over a year with constant burning sensation in my mouth. Many things were checked blood wise during my MS dx, 11 vials worth covering autoimmune, vitamins, minerals, diabetes, thyroid, you get the idea .

I've known for years that drinking a glass of orange juice results in a canker sore. So I don't drink orange juice. However, I recently decided to start taking vitamin C supplements thinking I was not getting enough C in my diet. I didn't think it would cause any harm in doing so. I wasn't getting cankers.

What was happening however, in starting these supplements, was my geographic tongue and fissured tongue (yes, I have both these since childhood) came back in wicked force. My BMS was through the roof (I am trying Neurontin/Amitriptyline to control the pain and agony from BMS).

So I stopped the C supplements 3 days ago. No surprise, the geographic patches and fissures have almost completely healed up and disappeared.

The burning is still there, but I woke and ate a banana today. Perhaps I am now thinking that Vitamin C could be the cause of such agony with my mouth? I have no doubt in my mind as far as the BMS is concerned that it is partially neuropathy. That's been determined. It's worse when I'm full of anxiety and stress. Better when I'm calm. I am now thinking however that controlling my intake of C could actually result in reduced BMS agony.

It's worth a shot right? The meds aren't helping as I expected. There is the option of trying Klonopin instead of what I am on now. I'll bring it to my neurologist's attention when I see him in August, but I am in the meantime going to try a vitamin C free diet for the next 2 weeks to see if the BMS calms to a dull roar again.

When I did the Candida diet last January, before MS dx again, I was able to almost completely get rid of the burning mouth sensation. This was without drugs at the time.

I really do hope however, that this is something that for me, I will find the key to, and be able to control to get relief. It's horrible pain that I live with daily.
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote