Thread: Ruling out MG
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 01:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi Lizzie,
My swallowing has improved dramatically since my thymectomy. The thymus gland was growing up the left side of my neck and since they removed it things have been better. My arms and hands continue to have weakness and my swallowing is still affected. I haven't had a "remission" and don't know if I will but it was worth a shot. I think the thing that has helped me most is IVIg - I get it every two weeks and it makes all the difference.

I am not sure about the Cell Cept study...I was talking with my friend who does a lot of reading about these studies...It would be good to know what a longer study would look like - they only followed people for three months and it would be good to know the size and scope of the study. Statistics are easy to skew and can show different results depending on the variables. CellCept seems to work for some people with MG and not for others - like so many other things. I guess the encouraging thing is that they continue to fund studies. Good luck at your appointment and don't be afraid to try something new. The studies say that IVIg isn't effective in the long-term treatment of Myasthenia but I know that it has changed my life.
Gabe
Gabe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote