View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

First of all, I have never heard of an ADAM computer. I must go and look that up.

When I was in my early 30's I worked for a Non-Profit organization. They got the very first computer system. Since I was an executive secretary, they installed something called Multimate Advantage (this was way before Word Perfect).

I was sent to IBM school to learn about computers. The only reason they chose me was I typed 145 words per minute. On a Selectric no less (god knows how fast I was on the computer keyboard, people would stand behind my desk one day and applaud me because I drove my boss nuts with my typing. I'll never forget that day.

So they sent me to computer school. After my first lesson, I typed five lines on the computer, printed it out (dot matrix), bought it back to my company, showed the head person and she went 'oh, that's glorious"

Never forgot that either.

So they install my computer. It was an IBM and guess how big the hard drive was??

THE WHOLE HARDDRIVE WAS 20 MGS.

I will never forget that because when I quit and bought my own, I bought the exact same system and it cost over $3500 from IBM.

Good Lord, this was 25 or so years ago.

No color monitor. I remember everything on the screen was green.

The printer had this noise cancelling hood on it because all the printing would drive everybody crazy.

So guess what happened after I got the only computer in the company?

None of the other secretaries gave me the time of day. They refused to acknowledge me in the lunch room, etc. I asked someone about this once and they said "this happens all the time, they were jealous". YA THINK?????

So one year later, they installed an IBM computer at every secretary's workplace.

So guess who they called up for advice? I would get calls ALL DAY LONG.

I would be asked 'melody what does the F10 key do, how do I save this document, how do I paginate, how do I get the printer to print all the pages, how do I do this?? that??

My immediate supervisor got so mad she said "do not go to the other floors". I said "but they don't know how to use the computer".

It's amazing how popular I got after one year of no one talking to me.

FOR ONE YEAR, NO ONE SAID A WORD TO ME.

I will never forget that as long as I live.

I was never that kind of person to be jealous of another secretary. Besides IBM school, they also sent me to some kind of business course and it was at the same time.

That's where I asked the question of the person giving the course. I told them what was happening on my job and she said "right now, because you were chosen to go to IBM school, well they are all jealous". "Some day, this will all blow over".

She was right.

Good old Multimate Advantage software. I'll never forget this. Spell Checking and everything.

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote