View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
...but it fits here even better-

Having been immersed in real estate development for a iong time I had a project in ming that might be worth thinking about.

All over the US there are what were once small mom and pop motels that were stranded when the Interstate system was built. Typically constructed in the late 40s they lie on what were then major highways, are single story and built on a slab, and range from 25 to 50 units with each its own entrance. They were often called "Motor Courts" or similar.

There are thousands of these across the country. Probably a hundred within anhour's drive of any city. Many are for sale as they are "outmoded" for a culture taught that "new" is "better". They would be ideal for the purpose.

<added>
The key is to be able to have enough residents to make it affordable without it being TOO big.
Rick - about 4 or 5 years ago I spent quite a bit of time on the internet looking for exactly this kind of property for this purpose; there are lots of them. There are also retreat, ranch, camping and other vacation properties that have communal (eating, meeting) facilities and private sleeping and bathing quarters.

Location is the biggest hurdle (it would be hard for me to leave the West or West Coast, or live in a Red state - we all have our preferences), and it should be near good public transportation and a great MDS clinic. Maybe we could establish regional options!

I also spent time working with the Push for PD project I referenced in the above post (www.pushforpd.org) ; it evolved into care for those in need of more nursing care because they had to start somewhere; they are interested in expanding once established, but that would be too late for my situation now.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote