View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Boy, I can sure relate to this story. I bought a bike about a year ago. I was worried mostly about balance issues. I think that's why your whole body was shaky because your muscles were working hard to maintain your balance. Anyway, I went for a short ride around the neighborhood and everything felt pretty good. The next day I went for a 16 mile round trip ride, half of which was a steady climb up hill. I felt good when I got home, although obviously a bit fatigued. But I told myself, "Yeah, I still got it!"

The next day, I could barely move! Not only was my entire body stiff and sore, but the dystonia I get in my upper right shoulder and into the base of my neck was in full force as well. Ouch! What was I thinking?

Well, I thought because I have been an athlete my entire life that this would be no big deal. Boy, was I wrong. It was a great moment of "PD awareness" for me.

So ride every day if you can. Listen to your body, but push yourself a little when you're feeling good. Let your body rest and recover afterwards. Be sure you're hydrated well before even getting on the bike. And mostly just have fun. It's so great to just go for a ride and enjoy the weather and scenery while you're also getting a good workout. Be safe...

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote