View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 04:03 PM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Lots of opnions on this!

Hi - I had a sural nerve biopsy - pros and cons...

First, I'd be sure its done by someone experienced in doing it (they took it out of the back of my calf and severe numbness starts mid-calf and goes down whole right side of foot - now - I pretty much had lost feeling anyway - but usually is done on your foot - so area affected is much smaller)
The incision healed in about two weeks - no real pain - but I still to the day get what feels like shooting electrical shocks around the scar itself.....

However, it helped my docs see immidiately (after waiting six weeks for results actually) - how severe my neruopathy is, the exact type of damage that they really couldnt totally decipher on my NCS/EMGS - and as a result even though I had it done 5 years ago my current neruo - who I started seeing a year ago - reviewed the biopsy and put me on IVIG - to try to stop any further progression - based on what he saw on these results.... also, was able to rule out other conditions.... (and IVIG is the only thing that has helped give me more energy and is improving my balance)

Overall - I'm glad I had it done because it gave us lots of information - but again - be sure to have an experienced doctor do it!
BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote