View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannah View Post
Folks in Africa or India don't have as many allergies either. Allergies are essentially a rich man's disease also. One of the theories is that we are too clean with modern septic systems and sanitation and therefore our immune systems are bored and have nothing to react to so they start to react to harmless things like foods and pollens. The autoimmue diseases are one step up from that when your immune system starts to react to your body.
That's an interesting theory too.

My step-son had terrible asthma. His mom used to freak out when there was cigarette smoke around him, and was a fanatic about cleanliness. I swear, you could eat off her floor.

It seemed the only time he wasn't sick with asthma was when we took him, and we both smoked (carefully).

It took his doctors to convince her that he had to leave the house for the entire day (at least) when she cleaned. We would take him to the campsite (with hot dog and marshmello roasts) on those days.

Cherie