Thread: No progress
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 04:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for your help and advice and also sharing your experience, cathy911.

I have just been back to my G.P yesterday and when I told him about my below satisfactory experience he immediately said that a physiotherapist shouldn't be making the decisions of a spine surgeon and then spoke into a voice recorder asking for the consultant spine surgeon to see me personally. Someone will probably be typing that out onto a computer via an audio machine resulting in a letter to the hospital. He also said that for the physiotherapist to say nothing was wrong with me is also completely rubbish as he said there is something wrong with my spine.

What is confusing me is that one minute my G.P said they may do a fusion and/or discectomy and now he's saying that I'm too young! He's suddenly changed his mind! By the way I'm 20 so perhaps they never do fusions or any type of spine surgery on anyone until they are over 30 because I seem to be being told that all the time. Basically all they can do is make me live on drugs which I don't really want to do as I'm not that sort of person. I try to soldier on without as drugs can also cause more harm than good in the long run.

They are saying that they reckon I need an epidural which contains steroids - known to also be harmful in side effects to the bones so I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not. Probably not as again I'm young and don't want to damage my bones.

The problem over here in the UK is that all G.Ps, physiotherapists, surgeons, etc, say they won't do anything on a young person and that leaves very little options open to me and others.

I would be grateful if you or anyone else could let me know if there are treatments for young people as healthcare professionals, unfortunately just don't know what to do with young people suffering from back problems.
Pabloh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote