View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Carolyn,

Your living situation sounds much like mine. Although diagnosed 4 yrs ago, I have only recently really accepted that I have PD and I must take ownership of my treatment and care. I joined a support group and "reasoned" with my health plan until they referred me to the Parkinson's Institute down the road in Sunnyvale, CA.

I immediately noticed that the majority of folks who coped well had partners. As a matter of fact, I think I am the only one in the support group that is on their own. While I am hopeful that the need for a full time caregiver is a LONG ways away, I have begun to ask for help as it is needed.

I can relate to your offspring situation. My son recently developed adult onset epilepsy and is trying to figure out how to deal with that. My daughter tries to help but lives 50 miles away and has a small child while working full time. BTW, I know it is not an option for many, but the lady who comes every other week to clean my bathroom and kitchen is more than worth the hair color and mani/pedis that I gave up to afford her.

The experiences and information that all of you share has already made a huge difference in my day to day attitude. Thanks, Carolyn, and the rest of y'all too!

Jeri
Jeri is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote