View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Trials and Tests

I agree about the trials. Most insurance companies will have specific requirements about stimulaters. Check with them first, as the whole process is very costly. Some insurance will fight paying for this at all, especially WC carriers.

With mine, I first needed a block as a diagnostic procedure to demonstrate that the doctors were on the right track and that the pain was actually neurologic.

Then was the psych evaluation. This is to prove, among other things, that:

a) you can deal with a foreign electronic object placed permanently into your body. (Some people will freak!)

b) you don't have expectations that are far too high. The success rate is rather low, and even with successful patients, it does not magically cure everything.

c) you are able to care for yourself enough to allow the healing process. As others said, the recovery is critical so the leads do not shift.

After the psych exam, you need to have a trial. No sense in spending insurance money if it will not work. Again, it does not work for everyone. The "electric shock" sensation may drive you nuts and still not reduce your pain.

Finally, you can get the implant. Look forward to staying in bed for several weeks. If there is something real important you cannot miss, like your son's wedding out-of-state or something, reschedule the surgery. Do not cheat on the recovery.

Many people find these work well. I was told that some patients have a successful trial but find that the permanent one is a disappointment. Keep that in mind.

One other thing. Discuss with your doctor or surgeon the location of the generator/battery pack. Some of us have found that the doctor picked an easy spot, but that it is crowded and therefore uncomfortable. If you are thin, they should look for a spot where you have "a little extra room" rather than somewhere where it will bulge.

Good luck on your decision.

Mike
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GreyHoundLover (07-23-2008)