View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 01:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMyNap View Post
Gentle, persistent communication with all personnel who enter her room should help them realize that this patient has the expectation of their highest professionalism.

Please blow a whistle for dear Judy and let her know that I'm keeping these rapscallions under control.
Ah, Cindy. I heard you made quite the entrance in Colorado, what, last year?

I suspect you all will breathe a sigh of relief when TheBrother exits the NeuroTalk world, which will be when J returns home and my job is done.

For brevity, I tend not to soften my posts' content. Thx for the above; I'm aware. I'm less interested in institutional protocol than my sister's well-being. Please know that my compassion for providers has grown during my years' researching, contemplating, writing, and now speaking on managing medical matters. Gentle and persistent, yes, with an equal or greater measure of clarity, impetus, and the sense that this patient-family will achieve what's required for this patient. This can be communicated in kind ways.

I emphasize my learnings (previous post) for the benefit of readers. In this hospitalization, Judy was and always has been alert and in full control. All Cathy or I could do is assist. Had I been more on my ball I would have said "Judy, it's 9:30, I wouldn't wait any longer for your RXs" and suggested she take 'em. Then advise the staff for charting. As I wrote in Notes, I am not here to usurp my loved one's authority, but to extend it.

I just got off the fone w/the Nursing Director, we had a friendly and collegial discussion (and she may buy the book ). She knows I didn't call to complain, and was not filing any complaint; I called to *learn* the protocol, reasons for it, consequences of not adhering to it, some other intricacies regarding patient-family use of the patient chart (vitally interesting information, that), and better disclosure to, and forecasting for, patient-families (distinct from soft-pedaling and/or choosing not to disclose various well-known potentialities).

Knowing that you folks keep it light up here, I'll pause here. If anyone wants some of the details of what I learned, ask and I'll continue.

Cheers, all
TheBrother is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (07-23-2008)