View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Kate,

I have had a lot of swelling in my left leg since forever -- or so it seems! That was really the initial symptom. By about 1998 - 2000, the metatarsals (long bones) in my left foot had eroded to the point where they were simply floating around, not doing any support. I had surgery to screw everything back together. After the surgery, the leg really ballooned up and I needed to have it elevated about twenty hours per day for about five weeks. When the swelling did not go down, the doctor prescribed compression hose.

I was really hesitant, but the swelling was driving me nuts and really hurt. So, I gave it a try. Putting it on in the morning was painful, but after about an hour, it started to work on getting the swelling down and actually felt pretty good. Once I was used to it, it really wasn't too bad except when it was hot!

Eventually I got to the point where the swelling was not changed too much by the hose. That is when I stopped wearing it. I would encourage you to try it. Right after the surgery, you may have enough pain killers to be able to tolerate it until you are acclimated.

Of course everyone it different, so you might not be able to put up with the tightness. But I am glad I did. I believe it helped for a while during the healing process.

Hope all goes well for you,

Mike
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Cake (07-24-2008)