View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Wounded Warriors March

I just wanted to share with all of you what took place in my neighborhood (and is still taking place).

There was a Wounded Warriors March from Central Park in NYC, to roughly 2 blocks from my home.

Alan and I went there at 2 p.m. and all the army guys and National Guardsman and all the Veterans were there. There were tents with foods for the families of the Wounded Warriors.

While everyone was waiting for the Wounded Warriors to arrive, I walked over to an elderly gentleman, tapped him on the shoulder and said "Hello Sir, I gather you are a veteran (he was dressed in all his regalia and medals) and he said "why yes I am".

I said: "On behalf of my dad I'd like to shake your hand, my father was also a veteran of World War 2". Well, the guy grabbed me and brought me over to a bunch of guys just like him. I shook all their hands (Alan was over at the other end talking to an army captain, Alan served in the army years ago by the way). So I'm chatting with these lovely men and I said "my father was in Iceland for 5 years and he wouldn't touch lamb when he came home". I told them all the army stories my dad had told me (when he captured a german officer, etc.).

All these lovely men were so friendly and I thanked them for their service to their country. One of the guys had also been in Iceland but at a different time then my dad. Wouldn't that have been cool, if he had known my dad??

Then I spoke to several army people and I shook their hands and thanked them for their service.

This whole ceremony was also joined in by the Fire Department and all the Fire Trucks and Firemen were out in their uniforms.

We shook their hands also.

Then the bag pipe players started playing, so we knew the guys were coming down the street.

Sure enough, the Wounded Warriors showed up. These are the wounded vets from Iraq who were using hand crank bikes. They looked so splended in all their biking outfits.

The tv cameras were rolling and the Brooklyn President, Martin Golden made a very heartfelt speech.

I met a girl who was the girlfriend of one of the Wounded Warriors. I wished her much happiness in her relationship with her guy. They were going to look at engagement rings. Her guy had a prosthetic leg.

She was very proud of him

I was proud OF ALL OF THEM.

So we hooped and hollered every time everybody applauded. Alan was shouting HOO RAH!!!

I said "shut up, you are not a marine".

It was so hot in the sun I can't begin to tell you. We had bottles of water and there were tents and food and everything. And balloons.

It's going to be shown on local tv tonight.

The camera caught me a few times.

I may even be in the newspaper tomorrow morning.

Anyway, today was THEIR day.

Brooklyn honored these heroes.

I met moms and dads, and girlfriends, and female Army Captains (that was so cool). I shook their hands. They were so nice.

Just wanted to share how my hometown of Brooklyn welcomed the Wounded Warriors to their hearts.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (07-24-2008), Bobbi (07-27-2008), Chemar (07-24-2008), Curious (07-26-2008), Darlene (07-27-2008), Twinkletoes (07-24-2008), who moi (07-24-2008)