Thread: Rituxan for MG
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Missy, I thank you so much for your input. No one explained to us the consequences. All I know is that it seemed to be our last hope. He has been on cellcept, immuran and lastly the cyclosporine and none of them helped. I still wonder, as this disease is so under researched that I suggested starting over again with the Cellcept, unfortunately I was met with negative responses. It has come to the point now that I/he will doanything for a simalace of a normal life for him. I lost my job because I believe my boss couldn't cope with his/my life of illness, hospitals ect. (boss is/was a Billionaire and thought I should take him to the best doctors, easy for him to say), the good thing is that I am able to be around to see what is going on, and since posting earlier this am - he feels like crap tonight. The roller coaster ride. I would go anywhere and do anything to help him.
He has been intubated 4 times since diagnosed 4 years ago. He is much stronger than I could ever be and I give you and all those with MG my prayers every single moment of my day! But one needs to pay the mortgage - so I must look for work soon unfortunatley. BTW I am picking fresh Maine Blueberries every day lately if any one wants some let me know, if you pick up the shipping i'll do the picking!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyGirl View Post
I almost tried it a few months back. However, after I learned about the possibility of getting PML (activation of the JC virus with subsequent demyelination and death) since I also use Cellcept, I decided it just wasn't worth the risk for the possibility of the modest positive effects it may offer.

From what I understand, rituxan really doesn't show much effectiveness unless the patient has MuSK positive MG. In those patients, it seems that the longest remission ever achieved was between 1-2 years and something as simple as a viral infection can send you back to square one. In fact, the next clinical trial will be only using MuSK positive patients.

Good luck to your husband. Hope he is MuSK positive and has a great improvement.

Missy
Janet Kelley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote