View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herekitty1960 View Post
Well put, Cindy. You know, whenever I fill out any type of paperwork/application or even just a survey sort of thing I notice that there is always a section to tell what race or nationality you are. It's always optional but I just can't see how that information is necessary. So......I answer the question anyway but I always check the "other" box and then put "HUMAN". That's what I am - I am of the human race. And I believe that's all that matters.
Thanks, Kell, half of me agrees with this and the other half doesn't. Part of history is record keeping and with this information, someday, someone will be able to show the pattern of the peoples of our nation. So, if the government or a bona fide research project is asking, I answer it.

The other thing is that some races are more susceptible to certain medical conditions, or react more seriously to them, so, in a medical situation, I answer it.

Marketing research is the sketchy one to me. On the one hand, it's justified to ask because there are different selling strategies for different demographic groups and that information helps the client identify the correct approaches to appeal to said markets. In this case our differences can make an impact on market trends, but, at the same time, if we're all interested in the same product... you get where I'm going.

Ours seems to be a nation that wants to celebrate our "sameness" yet, simultaneously maintain our "oneness". It's a tough nut to crack, stats seem to be both a blessing and a curse when it comes to us humans.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (07-25-2008), Kitty (07-25-2008)