View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Kelly, I think Barb's suggestion about volunteering is excellent. I've always been a firm believer in helping others helps ourselves. I've found with myself that the more time I'm able to think about my problems, the worse I do. I know this is extreme, but my father used to call it wallowing in self pity. I know there is a difference between self pity and depression, but I always have felt that there was truth in what he said, though he was talking more about us getting in trouble and moping over it instead of depression...KWIM?

I also found that after my father was killed, when I went to a support group of families of murder victims, when I was at my lowest, there was somebody that was lower than me. In volunteering, you get a pleasure out of helping people. Your volunteering doesn't necessarily have to deal with human interaction. It could be as little as shelving books at the library, filing for a charity or even being a supportive member of a forum.

Another thing that I have done is writing down what I am thankful for everyday. Also writing down what makes me happy each day, even if it is the sillilest thing in the world. I used to do this religously; I had to do something nice for somebody everyday and it always had to be a stranger even if it was a smile for somebody who was having a horrible day. I used to almost get all the way home at night and say...dang, I haven't done something nice today so I'd go do something nice even if it was as little as a smile or driving through a drive through and paying for the order behind me. It sure was nice to have that type of money back then...lolol

I hope I helped, even if it was just a little bit!

Julie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote