View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 06:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Trying to Understand My Tremor

Hello. I am new to this forum and would appreciate any insight folks might have.

I am 39 years old. Exactly 8 months ago, during a period of extreme anxiety that required the use of a benzo prescription, I had a sudden onset of postural tremors in my hands, all my fingers and both wrists. I quickly discontinued the benzo.

Each of the tremors subsided after about one week, but I am left with a unilateral tremor in my right pinky finger, which I have now had consistently for the entire 8 month period. The tremor is only present when I hold my hand in a "cupped" position, when supinated. It is not present when I hold my hands stretched out in front of me, when I spread my fingers, or when I do a finger-to-finger test. Stress makes it worse.

I thought this might be a psychogenic tremor at first because it had a sudden onset during an anxious time with other tremors, but I have read that psychogenic tremors do not present in fingers. I have also read that Parkinson's tremors start unilaterally, but are rarely sudden onset, and very rarely begin as postural finger tremors. Finally, I have read that Essential Tremor is postural, but usually bi-lateral, not unilateral.

Not knowing how to classify this tremor has caused me great discomfort. My question is, given the positional, postural, unilateral, and sudden onset nature of this tremor for the past 8 months, does anyone have any ideas as to what the diagnosis/outlook is for such a pattern?

Thank you.
Stockton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote