View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 06:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes they are enabling.

Aren't these the same people who all drink? She drinks to celebrate her four days of sobriety. Her hubby gets so drunk he passes out before he can shut off the car when he gets home from a night of drinking.

What is hard for you to understand is not so much the part about their interaction with their son, that is just a small part in the whole puzzle that is their dysfunctional household.

You have to look at the whole picture. At this point they don't care, they just want him out and are willing to overlook whatever is said or done, pay any amount, to see that they can give him a push. Then she can drink to celebrate that she has her house back. They can both celebrate.

I predict that he will not be out for long. He is ill and abusing his body, he will be back in the hospital, lose the job and house which they are probably putting their name on some papers somewhere for and he will move back in. Sad to say.

As I said before, if I were you I would not even discuss their son and his situation with them. You cannot sway them. All you say is falling on deaf ears. Now if she begins to talk of getting help for herself then by all means be there for her but don't let them suck you into their drama. They often have a tendency to feed on it.

You are such a good friend, I know it is mind boggling and you worry so about them and want them to see through it all what it is that they are doing.

When I was in outpatient rehab there were women in there who had small children, babies that had been taken away from them and they were at rehab because it was part of the requirement to try to get their babies and children back. You would be amazed at how many of them dropped out of rehab to go back out on the street to do drugs and drink instead.

There are thousands of grandparents out there that are raising their grandchildren because the parents are addicts.