View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 03:44 PM
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member
Heart

My father served on a destroyer in the South Pacific during WWII. He spoke of his love for the Navy, but he never spoke of his service. My mother only spoke of a time when his ship had gone missing for several months and she thought she had lost him.

My uncle served in the Marines during WWII and suffered from PTSD. We never spoke of the war around my aunt and uncle.

Whenever that era would come up, they both only focused on the time they were able to come home on leave. The four of them would paint the town, and my aunt says my parents dazzled the crowds with their jitterbug skills.

My closest friend of over 30 years is a Vietnam vet who suffers from horrible PTSD. He went to Vietnam right out of high school, and the only life skills he learned was to kill and destroy. Over the years he's told me some horrific stories of his time in Vietnam, but I never pressured him to elaborate. One year on Veterans day I decided to officially thank him for his service and coming home to us. His response was "I'm still lost - I never left the jungle."

It's been so hard on my Vietnam vet friend having my son over there. He doesn't want my son to be forced to live the life he's had to live.

I see these "feel good" stories on TV about vets with missing limbs moving on with their lives - skiing, playing basketball, etc. It's a little disturbing to me because the stories make it sound like the soldier didn't need that limb to begin with. Chances are it will inhibit their future career goals and diminish their self-esteem (losing their "wholeness" and independence).

Your observation is right, Melody. Vietnam (or even Korean War) vets don't usually get the same respect we give our WWII veterans. We should, regardless of their circumstances in life. I hope and pray we continue to support our troops fighting overseas.

I'm glad our wounded warriors got a chance to have their day in the sun. Sounds like it was fun.

Edited to say.....I hope this post didn't rain on your parade.

Last edited by KathyM; 07-26-2008 at 06:38 PM.
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bets (07-29-2008)