View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Karilann,

My first thought would be a fever/perhaps infection of some sort, so I'd keep an eye on this occuring again.

On the other hand, with MS our brains can have damage in the area that controls temperature:

"Hypothalamus

Functions: The hypothalamus is composed of several different areas and is located at the base of the brain. Although it is the size of only a pea (about 1/300 of the total brain weight), the hypothalamus is responsible for some very important functions. One important function of the hypothalamus is the control of body temperature. The hypothalamus acts as a "thermostat" by sensing changes in body temperature and then sending signals to adjust the temperature. For example, if you are too hot, the hypothalamus detects this and then sends a signal to expand the capillaries in your skin. This causes blood to be cooled faster. The hypothalamus also controls the pituitary."

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/nsdivide.html

I have not had it happen that on a very warm day that I feel THAT cold . . . but I have had many days when the temp wasn't particularly cool, yet I ached to the bones from spasticity. Cold is my #1 enemy.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
weegot5kiz (07-28-2008)