Old 07-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
(((Junie)))

A young man my son served with on the base had a slight weight problem and kept getting orders to participate in a physical exercise program. An officer didn't like the kid, so he "sentenced" him to go through the program yet again. The kid missed one of the classes, and he was promptly booted out of the Navy. After nearly three years in the military, the kid lost all his benefits - simply because his officer didn't like his pot belly.

I'm hoping we're beginning to see a climate change in our military. It helps to have medical professionals speaking up in defense of treating the "hidden wounds" of our war-torn soldiers. Back in your husband's day, he would have been accused of being a "wimp" for complaining about what he had to endure. Since when do men have to act like ROBOTS (uncaring machines) in order to be MEN? Geesh!

I'll keep your family in my prayers.
Kathy (and anyone else this applies to )

You think that this young man who was overweight was booted just because his commanding officer didn't like him? Think again.

The military has strict weight guidelines that must be adhered to for physical fitness. If this young petty officer didn't make the weight guidelines during PT and was given chances, he was booted for not meeting the goals set forth by the military, not by this one officer.

You can look up the guidelines under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) and find out just exactly what these guidelines are. He knew when he signed on the dotted line what his options were.

My husband spent 20 years as an officer in the US Navy and one of his jobs was making sure all of the men and women working for him met the goals set forth by the military. He had to meet them as well. It's not arbitrary nor do they pick and choose who can and cannot adhere to these guidelines. Although there are medical exceptions under certain conditions.

As for losing all the benefits after 3 years, that was his choice. He chose to not meet the goals. It would be no different if he were in a non-military job and didn't meet the expectations of his manager. He would be fired and lose any pension or benefit package he had paid into. The only difference here is that the taxpayers are saving money because this young man cannot adhere to rules and regulations and is not fit for military life. It's good that he found out early that the strict lifestyle that he thought he could handle was not for him before he got too far into it.

Not everyone is cut out for military life. It's a tough life. No one ever said it was easy. It's not easy for the active duty member and it's not easy for the family. It's not supposed to be. It's rigid, disciplined and austere. That's what makes a good soldier good. It has nothing to do with war and everything to do with making quick smart decisions when they need to be made.

I am sorry you feel the way you do, those of you who don't like the military lifestyle. It's just the way it is. You have to go into it with your eyes wide open. Recruiters do the best they can with what they have. It's an all volunteer military. It has been since the draft ended back in the early 70s.

I rather enjoyed being a military spouse. It was an adventure and we met some very nice people, lived in some interesting places. It was not always a bed of roses, I will admit. There were times I never knew where my husband was, what he was doing or if and when he was coming home. Communication was non-existent (and I mean non-existent) for months, unlike today where you have email and cell phones etc. I sometimes found out where he was by watching CNN and sometimes they didn't even get it right. The military family today has it a whole lot better than we did 15 years ago but it still isn't cushy by any means.

I will step down off my soap box now, but I get tired of the complaining by those who have not been there, walked in the same shoes that we have walked in, and never will. It gets old. Be grateful for the freedom you have and thank those who have served and gave up their lives, their pensions, their families, so you can have what you have today. Thank a veteran...thank the military.

Volunteer at a VA hospital, an Elks Rehab Center, or for a VA Rehab center if you have time or are able. Otherwise, you have no room to complain.

Thank you to those who volunteer and serve today. It's not an easy job or lifestyle.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (07-28-2008), Burntmarshmallow (07-28-2008), DMACK (08-03-2008), Gazelle (08-03-2008), snoozie (07-28-2008), Spanish Moss (07-28-2008), Wren (07-28-2008), ~scrabble (07-29-2008)