View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Years ago after my husband had walked out and I was alone, deeply depressed and anxious, and severely lacking sleep (no matter what Rx I tried), I was desperate to see my family doctor. I was too agitated to feel like driving so I walked there. The nurse could tell how upset I was so she very kindly took me straight into an exam room so I didn't have to sit with the group of patients in the waiting room. I was bouncing my foot when my doctor came in the room and he just let me talk and talk. I wasn't sure if I was about to crash and if I should be alone on the weekend or what to do. He gave me some good suggestions and feedback and then he apologized for having to excuse himself to see another patient. He came back and we talked some more. Finally I felt OK enough to go home. We walked out of the exam room and I saw that all the lights in the doctor's office were off and it was totally quiet. I saw the time and then realized how long I had been there and that the rest of the staff had left work at least half an hour ago. I was extremely grateful to my doctor for taking so much time with me and I realized that I then knew I had the strength and courage to look after myself. (I mean for the weekend on my own!)

My doctor knew me (and my kids) for the 5 years before my ex left and he stood by me through some very difficult times. When my ex later tried to take me to court to try and prove that I wasn't depressed (and if I was, it had nothing to do with how my ex walked out without any warning), my doctor was prepared to stand up for me in court and back me up all the way. Thank goodness we were able to settle outside of court.

That same nurse and doctor are so pleased for how I have been able to recover and move on and I'm so glad I found them when I first moved here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (07-29-2008), Curious (07-28-2008), Twinkletoes (07-29-2008), who moi (07-28-2008)