View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaveHerr View Post
I used to grow modern tomatoes in clean spackle buckets with drainage holes drilled in the bottom. Last year DH created a veggie garden for me complete with lots of organic food for the garden. I planted heirloom tomatoes and they loved their new home. This year the garden got fenced and so far that is working beautifully. (Thanks DH!)

I've planted heirloom tomatoes again and once again they are quite happy. The problem is staking the huge beasts! I use a collapsible wire support that opens up to a triangle. Unfortunately the plants get so big they don't stay corralled in their area of the garden. I have two plants in opposite corners of a five foot square. There has to be a way to support these mammoth plants but I don't know how. Any help would be appreciated.

Is there a way to keep the plants more manageable size wise without reducing food production? I think I read somewhere that I am supposed to pinch off the little sprout that emerges between the main stem and the leaf stem. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help.
Rather than try to explain it, here's a good website complete with pictures and even a video!

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening...-tomatoes.aspx

Here's one more with some information about Heirloom Tomatoes

http://www.growing-tomato.com/Growin..._Tomatoes.html

Tomatoes are tricky. You have to keep them off the ground to keep them disease free and bug free. But if the plants get so fruit heavy, it's hard to do. I think both of these websites have some great tips for you!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote