Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Erin,

The main reason that doctors don't rx this is that they don't know anything about it. They are too lazy to do their own reading, or they would find out just how harmless this small dosage of drug (with an extremely long and safe history) is.

My doc made me do up a "risk assessment", which included documenting the dosage required, potential side-effects, an assessment of it against the NMSS "Danger Signals" and "Look before you Leap" considerations of CAMs, etc., before he would rx it. It took me 6 months of research and documenting (I was NOT well at the time) before I got it all together, but my rx was sitting at his reception 2 hrs after I dropped it at his office to read.

I will PM you what I wrote, although it may be SLIGHTLY outdated now. It has the links to the information that Sally is talking about too, so you will be very informed and prepared by the time you visit your doc. That is the key to getting the rx.

Cherie

I think what I'll do, is just at the end of my appointment on wednesday, is hand him the printouts of the information. Just tell him that I'm kind of interested in it, and want to know his opinion. I wont try to show off what I know about it.

Maybe, ask him if he thinks it would be something to try, and maybe he can get back to me later on it.

I have a feeling that he wont be open to letting me at least try it. If he doesnt give me a Rx after he's read about it, I could probably try and see if my regular doctor would let me try.

I looked at some of the stuff you sent me information about, and was hoping I'd see a medical paper that told about it. It all seemed more like medical company propaganda then something that would be published in a medical journal. Maybe I just didnt read everything on the links.

I've been saving up some (not urgent) medical issues for my regular doctor that I'm going to ask him about. So, if the neuro doesnt give me a Rx, I can always hand the regular doctor the printouts about the LDN and see if he would be willing to let me try. Doesnt hurt to ask.

Does the LDN help some people with stiffness in the mornings? I know that I have a little spasticity, but it's not been too troublesome unless I've done something stupid like too much exertion the day before.

I'd just like to see if the LDN could do a little symptom management to keep my piddly symptoms like spasticity and numbness from getting too horrible. If I could keep them piddly little symptoms instead of ginormous bothersome symptoms I'll be happy.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~