Thread: Tragic!
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Supporting the troops is not supporting the war. I have supported my husband and the squadron and individual military members for many many years. So please Kathy, do not put words in anyone's mouth. It is not the same thing. There are many of us who support the military in times of need. I have done lots of volunteer work as I have already told you. I have for years even with the disability I have.

It's tragic that so many of our service members need to seek out these services. I know that it is difficult for a proud service member to admit that they have a problem and seek out professional assistance. The first step to healing is to admit that you have problem. Working with veterans can be a very rewarding effort. I know that the time I have spent doing volunteer work has been some of my best volunteer time.

Let me go a little off topic here just a bit so I can make a point about what they don't always tell you. My husband left on a "6-month cruise." That's what the squadron was told when the ship pulled out of port. 11 months later they returned home, yes, 11 months, not 6. It's all part of what he did and what was expected of the lifestyle he chose.

Kathy, you are missing the point of what the military is about. It's a lifestyle, not a job. It's 24/7, 365 days a year. It's not a 9-5 job that you go to each day. Being negative will only cause you stress.

He was in the Navy at the Commander-in-Chief's discretion, period, end of story. When he decided he wanted to retire from the Navy, he had to ask permission. It could have been granted and it could have been denied. Sometimes retirement requests are denied and sometimes they are granted. It all depends upon the needs of the military at the time the request is reviewed.

Be proud that your son wants to serve his country and hold your head high. I certainly would, and do.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Gazelle (08-03-2008)