View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alffe View Post
I have a couple of questions. I have a big Rose of Sharon bush in my barnyard that hasn't really bloomed in years. It gets lots of buds but they don't open! What is it trying to tell me?

and I mistakenly have planted some kind of pepper in my herb garden...yellow and about two inches long so far...what kind of pepper is it and how do I cook it? Thanks!
Most flowering shrubs need high Phosphorous fertilizer for blooming. You commented that the Rose of Sharon is in your barnyard so I am going to make an assumption here that it is getting some type of manure from the barnyard in the soil which tends to be high in nitrogen. This could be the reason why the Rose of Sharon is not blooming. Too much nitrogen.

You need to balance out the soil by adding phosphorous to the soil and pruning the shrub back this fall by maybe a third. This should revitalize it and maybe it will bloom for you next year.

As for the pepper plant, long yellow peppers are usually some type of chili pepper, could be sweet or could be hot. I'd split it, remove the seeds, saute it with some onions and butter and serve it with a tortilla!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote