View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 01:18 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You are NOT the only pillow weirdo!

I start the night propped up, on my back.

Later I turn to my right side.

Later I turn to my left side. (Depends on when I wake up and which side of my nose is stuffy.)

Pillow configuration when on my back:

Four under my head.
One under each arm (arms straight out by my sides).
One under my knees.

Pillow configuration when on my right side:

Four--maybe removing one to make three--under my head.
One crammed up against the small of my back.
One between my knees.

Pillow configuration when on my left side:

Four--maybe removing one to make three--under my head.
One--sometimes two--under my right arm.
One between my knees.

Since getting a titanium bolt surgically implanted in my skull above/behind my left ear last week--first step to better hearing with the BAHA system!--my pillow configuration has changed temporarily, due to the big cup dressing covering the wound and held in place by a Velcro headband, thus I can't sleep on my left side nor exactly on my back:

Five or six pillows under my head (piled up nearly vertical against the headboard), the top two moved sideways so I can use my right arm to smush them forward to cradle my head as I lie nearly sitting up.
One crammed up against the small of my back.
One between my knees.

Can't wait til the wound heals and I can lie on my left side again! Even more... I can't wait to get this huge dressing off tomorrow so I can wash my hair for the first time in a week and hopefully scratch all that horrible itchiness beneath the "cup"!

Oh, and yes, of course I can't use just any old pillow in these positions. The hardest pillow is lowest under my head, then comes a Tempur-Pedic pillow (for no particular reason except that it's smaller, and I take it out of its assignd place to use for napping on the recliner), then two smushy ones, the top one being one of the lightest-smushiest down pillows so I can smoosh it just so under my neck.

The pillows under my arms must also be very smushy. If there is any difference in their smushiness, the smushier one must go under my right arm.

The flat foam one goes between my knees.

A merely semi-smushy pillow is best to cram against the small of my back.

When lying on my left side, the pillow that goes under my right arm may be semi-smushy if a super-smushy pillow is not at hand.

I am so obsessed with pillows that I even asked my surgeon if I could bring pillows for under my neck and arms during the operation! She said no, that the OR nurses set you up with something under/around your arms (it's a straitjacket, but it was fine, I was completely out of it).

Still, I brought a small pillow to the hospital just in case I EVER had to lie in ANY bed where there might not be a pillow. (My knee was hurting and I needed a pillow under it.) Fortunately the nurses were very attentive and I always had a nice hospital pillow under it; they even put one under my knees for me during the operation.

When I go anywhere overnight, I always take a couple of my own pillows.

I always have a pillow in my car in case I need a nap while driving or at lunchtime at work.

When I'm a passenger on a car trip, I take two pillows--one to smoosh under my head, and one for my lap, to rest my arms on.

Sometimes I think I've lost my mind!

Nancy T.
Nancy T is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (07-31-2008)