View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 10:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default RSD recovery

My son developed RSD after a crush injury to his right hand.He was only 18 yrs. old. He was diagnosed about 3 weeks after the injury by a small town family Dr. Of coarse the Ins. wanted a different diagnosis, so they kept sending him to different Drs. Each one diagnosed him with RSD. His hand would swell so much, he developed stretch marks. It would change color from white to blue to purple to red and back again. He could not use his right hand at all, he was in constant pain. His pain management Dr. kept him on Percocet, Oxycotin, Neurontin, anti-depressants, sleeping pills. He could not use his right hand at all, he became totally left-handed. The Ins. Co. sent him to a Pain Management Clinic almost 1000 miles away. We lived in a hotel for 6 weeks. This Clinic did not accomplish anything. We kept asking his pain dr. about HBOT, but Insurance wouldn't pay. My son ended up paying for treatments on his own, they were expensive, but that was the best therapy he had. ( He had all the typical RSD treatments: stellate ganglion blocks (useless), physical and occupational, and pool therapy, psychological help, etc. etc.) After about 25 HBOT treatments, he had to discontinue because of the cost. But his hand ceased the swelling, the color changes, and the pain dramatically decreased. He was able to decrease his pain medications dramatically. His last treatment was a year and a half ago. While he is not totally pain free, he has been off the Oxycotin for quite some time, and only taking Percocet occasionally. His hand looks normal, and he has regained about 95% use of his hand. He is getting ready to go to college now. I am so thankful for his recovery!!!!!!!!!!! I just want to let other RSD patients know that there is HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
greengirl87740 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burnbabyburn (07-08-2014), DianaA (12-24-2008)