View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Went for a walk. Lots more questions.

Decided a garden walk would be more fun than writing out a to do list so off I went.

Is fall peony moving time also the best time to move hostas, ferns, lamb's ears, and artemesia? Do I cut back the lamb's ears when I divide/ relocate them?

I have several holly bushes with major leaf drop. What caused the leaves to drop? They are large bushes and produce berries but look so sad with leaves at just the ends of the branches. Can I cut them back? If I do I'll be cutting off all the leaves. I have several varieties of hollies and think the problem ones are my Blue Prince and Blue Princess ones.

I also have some major leaf drop on my hybrid tea roses. The leaves get dark spots on them then turn yellow and fall off. What do I do with them next year?

Something is digging one inch holes in my south facing bed, putting mounds of dirt on top of my mulch. Am I looking at several snake holes or something else? Snakes terrify me and I know they are around. And if they were as afraid of me as I am of them I would never ever see one.

That same bed is also infested with a bug I wish I could identify and get rid of. It is about 2.5 -3 inches long, black or dark body with three yellow stripes across the back or maybe rings around its body, and reddish brown wings. It burrows into the ground (not the one inch holes) and tends to fly less than two feet off the ground. They do not bite or sting. At least they haven't yet and we've had them for years now. What are they and how do I get rid of them?

How can I get rid of Box Elder bugs?

Okay I have more questions but your head is probably spinning from these so I'll wait. I need to do a bit of homework myself first anyway. Can't remember the plant names.

12/02- health world implodes, 11/05- Raynaud's (Brr!), 2/07- celiac, 3/07- gluten free diet

I will survive.
JustWeave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote